Established in 1926, the Public Radio of Armenia remains one of the largest broadcasters in the country. Throughout these years the Public Radio has been gathering, recording, broadcasting and preserving the culture and history of Armenia.
On September 1, 1926, the first experimental radio programme (25 minutes duration) called “Voice of Yerevan” was transmitted in Armenia. The first test programmes were mainly folk music programmes regularly interrupted by local news, putting into operation the first radio station in Armenia. This created new wide-range perspectives for moving the amateur radio movement forward, radiofication and planned development of radio and wired broadcasting networks. The creation of radio station made it possible to use radio broadcasting as one of the most efficient mass media for informing and educating the population. That is why radio programs were expected to cover such topics, which would interest people of different specialties and meet their needs.
On June 15, 1927, Armenian Republican Radio started to broadcast its programmes on regular basis. In the early years only Yerevan and surrounding villages were included in the broadcasting radius. Due to efforts of a group of radio lovers radio service was provided in more than 25 villages in 1927, and in another 40 the following year.
The map of radiofication of Armenia
On April 6, 1927, national print media published the first radio program consisting of news and concerts.
Up till 1929 actors and journalists from newspaper editorials were being invited to conduct the radio programmes. And only in December 1929 the first radio hosts - Vergine Babayan and Suren Kananyan were invited to work at the Republican Radio of Armenia.
At the end of 1929 the Republican radio committee was formed. The committee had 12 employees and annually aired 2,160-hour programmes. In 1930s the audience was significantly expanded. New technical and creative capabilities were put in use.
The list of first employees of the Republican Radio Commitee
During the post-war period the Republican radio opened a number of new editorial departments, extended the radius of radio transmissions, in 1947 started to operate the second channel (music and information), created new programmes and projects, increased broadcasting hours, as well as expanded its audience. In 1947 the radio committee was reorganized into radio informative committee attached to the Council of Ministers of the Armenian Soviet Socialist Republic.
The building of new radio transmitters was put into operation in 1957. In 1962 the whole territory of Armenia was provided with radio service. In 1965 an editorial compilation fund for recordings for author performances and radio records was formed. Radio Gold Fund contains more than 20,000 (150,000 hours) sound records, music performances, art and poetry programs and radio performances.
The invaluable collection of sound documents involves the well-known voices of Haykuhi Garagash, Vahram Papazyan, Hrachya Nersisyan, Babken Nersisyan, Hrachuhi Jinanyan, Khoren Abrahamyan, Metaqsya Simonyan, Edgar Elbakyan, Garush Khajakyan, Tamar Demuryan, Marat Halajyan, Sos Sargsyan, Vladimir Abajyan, Vera Hakobyan, Silva Yuzbashyan, Svetlana Khanumyan, Sargis Najaryan, Karen Vardanyan, etc.